Changes to how bans are given

Hello,

You may have seen over the last week or so (if you’ve been on the servers) that I, and a number of other staff, have been unbanning a large number of accounts.

To give you some idea of the reasoning behind this:

• We recently hit over 4000 bans
  • HarrysMod (this version anyway) being active for nearly 3 years
  • There are some bans with interesting reasons (‘Banned by Gay Frogs’ is a prime example)
  • Several former staff have now left
  • Some bans are not valid and never really were

So what have you changed?

To cut a long story short, Mass RDM will no longer gain a perma ban in the first instance. To that end, we’ve removed almost all bans with this reason. If a player decides to Mass RDM, they will receive a temp ban initially, escalating to perma if they act out again. The hacking rules have not changed and you will still be banned if you are found to be using cheats. However, going forward we will be smarter with how these are handed out and evidence gathered. Please note that this doesn’t mean we are going to get it right 100% of the time, but I hope that this will help to improve the feeling of ‘we get banned for nothing’ that I’ve heard about recently. Toxicity and racism rules remain the same (read: not allowed) and that still won’t be tolerated. However, once again perma bans will only be handed out after a player has had at least 1 temp ban for the offence.

Can I use an Alt if my main account is banned?

Absolutely not. If you are banned you cannot use another account to join the server. I realise that we can’t always know but we do have methods to weed out alts. If you are found to be using an alt to get around your ban you will be perma banned and expected to explain yourself before an unban is offered - this is not guaranteed either.

I think the staff ban people too harshly

No, we don’t. We are simply changing the way we hand out bans. If you want to report a Staff member being too harsh/unjust/unfair toward you, please PM me on here or discord (dead pigeon) and I can look into it - rather than crying to other players about ‘the staff are horrible/unfair/nasty’ etc. We are stuck in an awkward position with players at present, most think we do nothing and the rest think we are too harsh. These changes aim to provide a compromise for both sides of the debate.

This post is too long and I didn’t read it - does this affect me?

Probably not, no. Fewer perma bans will be handed out, that’s all you need to know!

I got banned unfairly and would like to appeal

Pm the ttt-staff group and make an appeal - check out Ban appeal updates! to see what you need to include. Some players are still ineligible for an unban though.

Comments are, as always, welcomed.

p.s. #fuckstaffmember16

7 Likes

Cant we ban all the nonces?
i god damn hate em

6 Likes

Hope this decreases my chances of getting perma ban from planting a c4/running around with an explosive barrel as innocent

4 Likes

It certainly won’t stop the inevitable karma ban that comes along with this…

4 Likes

Karma bans are fine, I’m used to them
Tho it’s hard to get karma banned if you never blow the barrel up yourself, it’s easier to get everyone else karma banned that way

3 Likes

If you keep running with barrels t baiting people it will result in a ban eventually. I remember us having this exact situation with people in the past.

REMEMBER KIDS!
Good innocents dont run arround being suspicious! Destroy explosive barrels when no one is arround to reduce the risk of RDM!

4 Likes

I mean what dumbass runs around with an explosive barrel am I right

4 Likes

I completley agree to the last statement with the #.

5 Likes

sounds legit

2 Likes

hmod realised they ban too many people but big up the change :slight_smile:

2 Likes

*some staff ban too many people

2 Likes

did you fly yourself over here seeing that announcement

4 Likes

Can someone translate this into braille for me please?

3 Likes

Brail translation :t_rex:

3 Likes

UWU UWU UWU UWU WUW and lots

2 Likes

You’re an admin you queef. Do it yourself lazy boy. x

welcome back questionmark

3 Likes

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm wow thats really good idea

2 Likes

Suggestion:
Ban Green3

Pros:
He’s gone
Stinky
Poo

Cons:
nobody will understand the smurf picture :frowning:

4 Likes

yes i +1 that

4 Likes

suggestion:

No

pros:

Cherino gets triggered
Dan_ is triggered (oh wait nvm he’s banned)
Sausage

Cons:
none

7 Likes